• 5 grade 8’s talking about minecraft
  • In this game you have to build things and as you acquire resources you craft
  • using minecraft in a 5 week socials class and students problem solve, communicate, and engage in critical thinking
  • Ancient Egypt unit: students had to build a civilization together using mine craft and when they started the civilization, teacher just gave them a tool
  • builds community in a classroom and sense of community
  • Students learned lots of agriculture
  • Core competencies of math and science (Ex. use coordinates to find their group members)
  • Assessment is based on written reflections (what were there struggles, what did they do) and observations and anecdotal notes from teacher
  • Teacher looks for language of math and other subject areas
  • Talked about the conflict of environment and this game so teacher would have to teach sustainability before diving in to this game (drilling and mining and cutting down trees)
  • Students reason was that playing the game reduces paper
  • You can harvest trees properly
  • This game is the least anti-social technology
  • I personally didn’t like this game as I just don’t have an interest in looking at a screen and sitting plus I got really dizzy due to the screen time and over stimulation 
  • I was working with Kathleen and we were both pretty frustrated because we couldn’t build a house even after one of the students showed us
  • It was very neat seeing the students help our class and share their knowledge and passion for the game