I talked to Michael and he suggested I try forest bathing as my inquiry. Forest bathing is when you interact with the forest in meaningful ways and you’re in the present moment. For example, it could be things in motion like the wind or birds flying or the sounds in the forest etc. I do like the idea of this because it would get me more in tune with nature and I would have something to focus on (sounds, feelings, smells, etc.) rather than trying to sit and breathe. As much as I like this idea, between school and work and my life in general, I won’t have time to venture to a forest and spend the quality time that I would like.

forest

“forest” by barnyz is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

From the time I was little, I have always had a fascination with fire and it’s one of the only “activities” I can do contently with sitting down for a while. The other day my finances and I were in Home Depot and there was a fire pit on sale so clearly it was a sign we should get it plus we have been thinking about having a fire pit for a while as we both enjoying sitting around a fire in silence and both in conversation. I have decided that sitting peacefully by the fire is going to be my new inquiry. How can sitting by the fire keep me present in the current moment using  senses including smell, sight, feel, and hear. I think I will leave the 5th sense (touch out):) I will replace my meditation with sitting by the fire for 15 minutes 3x a week (days could change week to week). Sitting by the fire is still on the topic of mindfulness which was my original inquiry but it has more of a focus and it’s actually going to be attainable for me to do. I usually put all technology away at 9pm but the night’s I sit by the fire I am going to put my phone away at 8:30pm.

Check out the photo of my lovely front yard fire: